BB5: Brandon Beane’s Draft Picks

BB5 is where I take a topic related to the Bills, give my take on it, add 5 points of emphasis, or rank 5 things pertaining to the subject. With the draft around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to revisit the successes of Brandon Beane’s draft history since becoming GM as the first edition of BB5

  1. Josh Allen Round 1 Pick 7 2018 Draft. Beane traded the 12th, 53rd, and 56th picks in the 2018 draft to Tampa Bay for the 7th and 255th picks to get their franchise QB. The production of Allen, along with the production of the other QBs available in the draft, make this Beane’s best draft pick. He’s currently on his second contract as the 9th highest-paid QB in terms of AAV. He has started 93 games, going 63-30 for the Bills while totaling 22,703 passing yards and 220 total TDs. Currently, he holds 18 franchise records along with 2 Pro Bowl nods (2020 NFL All-Pro 2nd Team). In 2021, he signed a 6-year/$258 million contract extension with the Bills.

  2. Taron Johnson Round 4 Pick 121 2018 Draft. Johnson has been one of the premier nickel corners since moving into a full-time starting role. He has amassed 394 tackles 7 sacks and 4 INT and is known for his 101-yard TD vs the Ravens in the Divisional Round of the 2020 playoffs. In 2024, he signed a 3-year/$30.75 million contract extension with the Bills, which made him the highest-paid NCB in the NFL. This is his second contract extension with the Bills.

  3. Ed Oliver Round 1 Pick 9 2019 NFL Draft. Oliver has developed into one of the top DT in the NFL. Over his career, he has 202 tackles, 44 TFL, along with 24 QB sacks. In 2023, he signed a 4-year/$68 million contract extension with the Bills.

  4. Tremaine Edmunds Round 1 Pick 16 2018 Draft. Beane traded the 22nd and 65th picks in the 2018 draft to Baltimore for the 16th and 154th picks to draft Edmunds. Edmunds started 74 games for the Bills making 565 tackles, 6.5 sacks, and 5 INTS with 2 Pro Bowl nods. Edmunds signed a 4 year/$72 million contract with Chicago before the 2023 season.

  5. Christian Benford Round 6 Pick 185 2022 Draft. Benford has played in 24 games for the Bills amassing 72 tackles, 15 PBUs, and 3 INT. He has established himself as a starting-caliber DB in the NFL in a short amount of time.

Too Early To Tell: Dalton Kincaid, Khalil Shakir, Gregory Rousseau, Terrell Bernard

I didn't follow certain criteria for my top 5. Josh Allen to me is the clear number 1 selection for Beane because the team knows they have their franchise QB. They can focus on the rest of the roster with that position locked up for the foreseeable future. Johnson and Oliver are top 10 players at their positions and are on their second contracts with the teams. Even though Edmunds has left, the production he had in Buffalo was impressive and earned him a massive payday. Benford has been a revelation. I don't think anyone was expecting the production he had when he was drafted out of Villanova.

Wyatt Teller was left off of the list because he never played for the Bills. In theory, he was a great pick by Beane but was traded before showing that. Gabe Davis, Dane Jackson, and Spencer Brown have been great value picks based on what they have done for the team with respect to where they were drafted. I don't think they are worthy of being in the top 5 at the end of the day.

*Tre White, Dion Dawkins, and Matt Milano were drafted before the Beane Era

Previous
Previous

BB5: Offensive Break-Out Candidates

Next