BB5: Training Camp Battles

Rookies report to St John Fisher tomorrow for the start of the 2024 Training Camp, with Veterans joining them on the 23rd. As I mentioned in the Minicamp Wrap Up, more than a few position battles remain undecided. It will be interesting to see how they unfold as the pads come on and training camp rolls into the first preseason game versus Chicago on August 10th. In this edition of BB5, I will focus on the five position groups that I see the most competition and how they will shake out before the regular season starts.

  • Safeties: The most obvious and crucial position battle heading into the season is who will replace the dynamic duo of Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde in the Bills’ secondary. The Bills signed Mike Edwards this offseason and drafted Cole Bishop in the second round to join Cam Lewis, Damar Hamlin, and Taylor Rapp. Rapp seems to have a spot locked down after signing an extension in the offseason to remain in Buffalo. Bishop has a lot of promise coming out of Utah but will need time to transition to the Bills’ heavy zone scheme from what he was used to in college. Hamlin and Lewis are not only long shots to start but may not be on the 53 when final cuts are made. It will be Edwards's job to lose unless there is a surprise signing before the season starts with Hyde returning or possibly bringing in a player like Justin Simmons

  • Wide Receivers: In every training camp, a fringe wide receiver I want to see make the team find a soft spot in my heart, wishing him to make the roster. This year is no different, but I am trying to think with my mind more than my heart with this group. It is safe to assume that Curtis Samuel, Keon Coleman, Khalil Shakir, and Mack Hollins are all locks to make the roster. Marquez Valdes-Scantling’s contract is interesting because it appears to be one of a player who will be making the 53-man roster with the $1 million signing bonus and incentives to reach $4.5 million. Beane and the Bills haven’t been shy about cutting a player with guaranteed money before (O.J. Howard), but in this case, I am pretty confident he will be on the roster. Assuming the Bills roster six wide receivers, this leaves one spot up for grabs and then practice squad positions. The final spot will come down to Chase Claypool, KJ Hamler, and Andy Isabella. Isabella and Hamler’s advantage is that Samuel is the only other player on the roster who is their size and has their speed. Claypool is similar in stature to Coleman, Hollins, and MVS but has speed at his size (6’4” 238 lbs), which they lack (aside from MVS), and has shown productivity in the past that they have not. It will be an exciting camp to see who can stay healthy and take advantage of their opportunities. I expect the Bills to keep Claypool and stash Hamler and Isabella, if able, alongside Justin Shorter and Tyrell Shavers on the practice squad.

  • Edge Rusher: Greg Rousseau, A.J. Epenesa, and Von Miller are the expected 1-3 DE entering 2024. Who will step up and take the 4th and maybe 5th spot? Casey Toohill, Dawuane Smoot, and 5th-round pick Javon Soloman are the newcomers battling with Kameron Cline and Kingsley Jonathan for the final spot(s). The best-case scenario will be if the Bills can trade a player like Jonathan or Cline for a late-round pick, similar to the Darryl Johnson trade in 2021. If the trade markets don’t materialize, I expect they will attempt to bring both back as practice squad players. It’s difficult to envision a scenario where the Bills can keep more than Soloman or Smoot/Toohill. Either way, the group will be competitive and should bring the best out of everyone during training camp.

  • Backup Running Back: The Bills have their RB1 in James Cook. Going into the draft, I was happy with Ty Johnson as the backup after the production he showed in Joe Brady’s offense at the end of 2023. Drafting Ray Davis out of Kentucky changed my feelings about that. I did not know much about Davis before the draft, but everything I have read and watched since the draft made me believe he will be a contributor early for this team. He has good pass-catching ability and is a decent pass-protector, which are two critical things in the Bills’ offense from their running back position. He doesn't have the speed that Cook or Johnson have, but he is a reliable runner. The Bills also have Darrynton Evans and Frank Gore Jr in the mix. Aside from any surprises, I expect the RB2 competition to be between Davis and Johnson, with Gore ending up on the practice squad.

  • Kicker/Punter: In my Minicamp Wrap-Up in June, I mentioned Tyler Bass's continued struggles after the end of the 2023 season. Will Brandon Beane bring in competition if Bass performs poorly in training camp and the first preseason game? This has to be a position they're eyeing as needing to improve from last year's 83% regular season and 40% playoff field goal numbers. Bass has to be a reliable weapon for them moving forward. Rookie Jack Browning joins Sam Martin in the punter competition but, more importantly, the placeholder role. Martin punted better last year than his first year in Buffalo, but there are concerns over the drop in Bass's performance since he took over placeholder duties. The Bills do not punt often, so developing a good connection with Bass will be essential for whoever wins this battle in training camp. I expect Browning will be the Bills’ starting punter in 2024, with Matt Haack keeping his phone nearby.

Players I will be keeping an eye on…

  • Kaiir Elam: I am high on Elam entering his third season with the Bills and mentioned him as a potential breakout candidate earlier this offseason. I have lowered my expectations from then, knowing that he will be behind Rasul Douglas and Christian Benford on the depth chart for the boundary DB positions. I expect Elam to be ready for the opportunity if Douglas or Benford misses any time. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to build on the momentum he gained during minicamp.

  • Dalton Kincaid: I want to see how Kincaid’s role will expand in the Bills’ offense this year. Another player that I think will break out this season and develop into Josh Allen’s number-one target in 2024. Joe Brady has had an entire offseason to put his playbook together around the players he got to know in the second half of 2023. What did he come up with to take this offense over the top in 2024?

Previous
Previous

AFC South Preview

Next