Bills vs. Bears Recap

Before Sean McDermott announced the plan to play Josh Allen and the first team, I was not expecting to see Allen in the preseason. I did expect to see a better effort and performance than the Bills showed on Saturday, though. Regarding Allen’s start, I understand the logic behind the decision. The Bills must determine what they have at the receiver position in a game versus a practice setting. I am sure the coaches, like all of Bills Mafia, held their breath on the 7-yard scramble Allen took on the second to last play of the first quarter. In regards to the performance, I understand it’s preseason, and I do not put much weight on the outcomes of the games, but I think Sean McDermott summed it up well with his quote, “Our standard was not out there today; that’s not how we play.” The Bills did not look ready to play at points, specifically the offensive line, and had 11 penalties, a majority of them pre-snap. It's fair to say that Josh Allen is aligned with what Sean McDermott’s saying in his response postgame, "Lots to learn from. Again, it’s preseason; I know we’re not game-planning for these games. But we’ve got to be ready to go.”

I’ve never heard a player come out and say, “We’re not game-planning for these games,” but it makes sense. I view preseason games as a way to identify players' performance more than the teams’ performance. Coordinators on both sides of the ball are not going to open up the playbook. Joe Brady isn’t going to put anything on film for defenses to use to start the season in what will be a completely different offense from what the Bills have shown since Allen became their quarterback. Bobby Babich isn't dialing up any unique blitzes and had most of the starters on the sidelines after the first series. Keeping players healthy while not putting anything on film for future opponents is a priority during the preseason.

The Bills did some things well early on, and some players have helped and hurt their positions on the depth chart and even the roster if they don't turn things around quickly. Here are some things that stood out to me from the 33-6 loss to Chicago.

What I liked

  • No injuries. Ed Oliver left the game early but was cleared to return.

  • Tyler Bass 2-2 on FGs, with one from 49 yards in windy conditions

  • Josh Allen's quick throw to Curtis Samuel. This type of play has been missing since John Brown’s first two seasons. I hope this is a sign of where the offense is heading under Brady.

  • Keon Coleman getting his first catch after creating good separation for a 1st down.

  • Red zone defense holding the Bears to two FGs to start the game.

  • Run defense early on looked good. Herbert had runs of 7 and 14 yards, but they held the Bears to 7 runs of 3 yards or less in the first half.

  • Khalil Shakir’s reliability. 3 targets, 3 catches.

  • Rookie class saw a lot of playing time.

What I didn't like

  • The Kendall Williamson hit was not necessary. Williamson had a strong game but the late hit on DeAndre Carter that resulted in a 15-yard penalty was avoidable.

  • The offensive line looked lost at times. There was lousy run blocking early on and a few snap-count miscommunications after Allen was pulled.

  • Defensive players getting lost on broken plays. Caleb Williams’s 13-yard scramble and D’Andre Swift's 42-yard catch and run come to mind.

  • Kickoff decision. By design or not, kicking the ball away and giving the opposing team a starting field position at the 30-yard line is not wise.

Players trending Up

Players trending Down

Next up: Buffalo at Pittsburgh - Saturday, 7:00 PM - NFL Network

Previous
Previous

The Loss of Matt Milano: Who Steps Up?

Next